ODG Guild Header
Established January 17 1881
 
Guild Home Page Guild Officers Diary of events in the Guild Branch details and contacts within the Guild Latest news and newsletters from the Guild and Branches Details of quarters and peals rung in the Guild The Guild Documentation Frequently Asked Questions Links to other ringing websites

Guild History Page
Search this website
St Peter-ad-Vincula, South Newington, Oxon
Banbury branch of the ODG
St. Peter-ad-Vincula, South Newington  tower
St. Peter-ad-Vincula, South Newington
Dedication:St. Peter-ad-Vincula, South Newington

The Bells (5) 8-0-7

Access to ringing chamber: Access via S porch. Stairs and trapdoor to balcony.

The following information comes from F. Sharpe The Church Bells of Oxfordshire. He visited the tower in 1949.

Frame: Oak 'A' type
Gear: Elm headstocks, Strap gudgeons, Self-aligning ball-bearings, Traditional English-type wheels, Traditional stays.
Whites 1861/1930.
Tenor now 8-0-7.

A ring of 5, tenor 8-1-16, diameter 37¾”, tuned to G
Bell Weight
cwt-qr-lb
Strike
note
Date
cast
Founder Foundry
location
Inscription
Treble 4-1-0# D 1733 Henry Bagley III Witney IOHN BOX IOHN IRONS CHURCH WARDENS HENRY BAGLEY MADE MEE J733
2 5-0-0# C 1656 Richard Keene Woodstock 1656
3 5-2-17 B 1861 George Mears Whitechapel G. MEARS & CO FOUNDERS LONDON 1861
REVD. HENRY DUKE HARINGTON VICAR
RICHARD HALL
JOHN FORTNUM CHURCHWARDENS
4 6-0-12 A 1861 George Mears Whitechapel G. MEARS & CO FOUNDERS LONDON 1861
REVD. HENRY DUKE HARINGTON VICAR
RICHARD HALL
JOHN FORTNUM CHURCHWARDENS
Tenor 8-1-16 G 1861 George Mears Whitechapel G. MEARS & CO FOUNDERS LONDON 1861
REVD. HENRY DUKE HARINGTON VICAR
RICHARD HALL
JOHN FORTNUM CHURCHWARDENS

Points of interest in church: Mediæval wall paintings

Travel Details: OS Grid Ref: SP407333. Roadside parking

Eating Places: ‘The Duck on the Pond’ Tel: 01295 721166

Return to the Banbury Branch listings page

Valid CSS!  Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional     © Oxford Diocesan Guild of Church Bell Ringers 2009 - Site Map