|Established January 17 1881|
|St. Nicholas, Islip, Oxon
Bicester branch of the ODG
St. Nicholas, Islip
Dedication: St. Nicholas, Islip
Service Ringing: Sun (2,3,4,5) 10.15
Practice night: Tue 7.30pm
The Bells (8) 8-1-7
A ring of 8; tenor 8-1-7, diameter 38" in key of G
|treble||2-3-21||1956||Mears & Stainbank||Whitechapel|
|2||3-0-12||1956||Mears & Stainbank||Whitechapel|
|3||4-0-11||1859||G. Mears||London||G.Mears Founder 1859|
|4||4-2-17||1859||G. Mears||London||G.Mears Founder 1859|
|5||5-1-26||1859||G. Mears||London||G.Mears Founder 1859|
|6||5-2-10||1859||G. Mears||London||G.Mears Founder 1859|
|7||6-2-13||1859||G. Mears||London||G.Mears Founder 1859|
|tenor||8-1-7||1859||G. Mears||London||G MEARS FOUNDER LONDON
THIS PEAL OF BELLS WAS RECAST IN THE YEAR OF OUR LORD 1859 THROUGH THE GENEROUS OFFER OF JOHN PARSONS ESQUIRE OF THE CITY OF LONDON TO DEFRAY THE WHOLE EXPENSE. FRANCIS TRENCH, RECTOR.
J. P. W. SYDENHAM,
THOMAS SMITH, CHURCHWARDENS.
COME FOR ALL THINGS ARE NOW READY. LUKE XIV. 17
The following history of the bells is taken from the Bicester Branch website.
Of these, the second and tenor were cast by James Keene and the inscription on the treble suggests William Carter of Whitechapel as the probable founder. Michael Darbie was an itinerant founder, notorious for his bad workmanship, who was staying in Oxford at the time he recast the fourth bell. He recast numerous others, including the eight at Merton College (since recast) and New College (now ten bells). Ellis Knight of Reading cast the third in 1623 and the old ring was cast into six in 1859 by Mears of Whitechapel who allowed for 43 cwts of metal.
The inscription on the bells is as follows:
These bells were again rehung by F. White (Appleton) 1908 in a wrought iron
side pattern frame.
In 1956 two new trebles were added, making a peal of eight. Given by the Gilman family of Islip, they were a generous gift in memory of the late Edward Willmott Frances Gilman OBE, MA for many years a churchwarden. They were cast and installed by Mears and Stainbank of Whitechapel and were dedicated on 15 November 1956.The Rehanging of Islip bells
When Phil Timms, Willie Haynes and Judy Westcott were doing the periodical shovelling of pigeon droppings from the bell chamber, they discovered that the tenor headstock was badly cracked. Brian White, the bell-hanger, was called to do an inspection and his report in September 1982 stated that the condition of the tenor headstock was such that the bell must not be rung until the headstock was replaced and the bell rehung; the cast in crown staple on the fourth was loose and might drop out at any time and the fifth headstock was also cracked.
Permission to rehang the tenor was granted. The estimated cost of £999 plus VAT was to be paid jointly by the ringers and the PCC. With Willie Haynes assisting to keep the cost down, the work started on 2 December 1983 and was completed early in 1984 but, due to the delay in starting, the cost had increased to £1182.20.
All eight bells rang again, although bells 3-7 had to be constantly patched to keep them ringing. By then a tower fund had been set up and all money paid to ringers for weddings was donated by them to the fund as well as donations from visiting ringers.
By 1988 the tower itself was in an appalling state with pigeon muck dropping on the ringers’ heads and rainwater soaking everything in the tower due to the broken louvres. In June, Teresa Carter and Willie Haynes met the PCC and on behalf of the ringers offered to pay for the materials and labour to rectify the defects in the tower i.e. keep out the weather and the pigeons and to install soundproofing to keep in the noise of the bells on practice nights in order to make Tuesday evenings more tolerable for those living near the tower.
The plans were turned down and although the job could have been done for around £200, with a bricklayer's labour for a day and a half, the church architect wanted the firm doing restoration work on the tower to do it at a cost of about £8000 and claimed that English Heritage would not allow the work to be done. After about two years spent battling with the architect, Willie Haynes learned that English Heritage knew nothing of the issue but after coming out and inspecting the tower they more or less agreed to the whole project. Unfortunately, the scaffolding had been removed by then and it would have cost another £2000 to have hoists erected in the tower to haul the stone blocks up to the bell chamber.
Whites of Appleton were asked to give quotes: Vivian White for the structural work and Brian for the fitting of the hoist to a beam and also an update on the cost of rehanging the bells. Two very reasonable quotes were received for this work and it was agreed to go for a complete rehang and retune at a total cost of £20,000 including VAT. Mrs Pat Chapple bravely took on the task of Village Fund raiser.
Following promises of very generous grants from the ODG (£2750), the Bicester Branch of the ODG (£1000), the Barron Bell Trust (£1500) and from the Islip Tower Fund (£1500) work started in February 1992 to dismantle the bells ready for lowering and removal. Wheels, clappers and stays were removed by Willie Haynes with help from Richard Stevens, the Bicester tower captain. On 2nd March Whites started the lowering. Two days had been allowed for this but by 4.40pm on the first afternoon the last bell, the tenor, was safely on the ground and the headstocks were removed by Terry Hester, the Witney tower captain and Teresa Geddes (nee Haynes).
The following weekend the bells were on show in the church and an auction of the old wheels, clappers and accessories was held: people were most generous in their bidding and a total of £1750 was raised during the weekend.
Other fundraising events were held: theme meals e.g. Burn’s Night, American Thanksgiving Supper, April Fools’ Day Dinner, Pancake evening, a gastronomic French country supper, German and American teas, a deer stalk and barbecue; a sweet stall, pottery mugs (made by Barbara Payne, a bell-ringer) were sold and parts of the bells were sponsored by people in or connected with the village.
Willie Haynes helped by Keith Chapple and Kathryn Grant began the massive clean-up, rubbing down and scraping of the frame. When finished, the frame was repainted with the paint very generously donated by Jim Pigott, Church Warden, Wood Eaton. Three days and three coats of paint later the job was completed and then the repointing of the tower steps (no mean task involving the carrying of buckets of cement up a spiral staircase).
Finally the pigeon droppings between the floor of the bell chamber and the ceiling of the ringing room were cleared out and the walls and ceiling of the ringing room were redecorated.
When ready the bells were collected from White's workshop on Kenneth Maunder's lorry, off-loaded and carried on Brian Henman's forklift truck into church where they were on show on Sunday 10 August. By Tuesday, thanks to the help of Peter Franklin from Kidlington, the bells, with most of the fittings, were all back in the tower, leaving only the most intricate work to be done. By that date, the target sum of £20,000 had been exceeded.
A trial ring arranged for 1 September was an outstanding success. The sound of these retuned bells was music to the ear: a first class tuning job from Whitechapels. Several touches were rung: Grandsire, Cambridge and Stedman: the way the bells handled was a credit to the craftsmanship of White's of Appleton. Edith Clift, from Radio Oxford's Spirit Level, paid a surprise visit to record the bells and interview people who had been involved in the rehanging: this was broadcast the following Sunday.The Rededication of the Bells
On Sunday 13 September 1992, the bells were rededicated by the Right Reverend Anthony Russell, Bishop of Dorchester, with the Venerable Frank Weston, Archdeacon of Christ Church, Oxford and the Reverend Dr Richard Sturch, Rector of Islip. Also present were Miss Emma St John Smith and Christopher Rogers, representing Westminster Abbey, the Reverend Donald Westcott, former Rector of Islip and his wife, Judy, Colin Bramich from Tewkesbury Abbey, the Master, Deputy Master and Guild Stewards of the Oxford Diocesan Guild and Ms Valerie Willard who rang in the first peal on the eight in 1956.
A plaque commemorating the rehanging was dedicated in memory of three former Islip Tower Captains: George Jones, Douglas Maunder and Phil Timms and also Mrs Angela Marfleet, a ringer at Islip and Tower Captain at Wood Eaton.
Islip’s main claim to fame is as the birthplace of St Edward the Confessor born in the village in 1004. To redeem a vow he had made to visit St Peter’s, Rome, he built the Abbey of St Peter at Westminster and endowed it with the lands and buildings of the village where he had been born.
Although there has been a church in Islip since Saxon times the oldest part of the present church dates back to the end of the 12th century. The church however was largely rebuilt in the 14th century and a tower was added in the 15th. When Cromwell's troops defeated the Queen's Regiment at the Battle of Islip Bridge in 1645, Cromwell is reported to have used the tower as a vantage point.
The western tower now contains a ring of eight bells, tenor in G (38" diameter) and a Sanctus bell (18" diameter: cast by Humphrey Keene at Woodstock and inscribed in James Keene's smaller lettering HK ++ 1652 now preserved).
Travel Details: OS Grid Ref: SP526140 - village hall car park
© Oxford Diocesan Guild of Church Bell Ringers 2009 - Site Map