ODG Guild Header
Established January 17 1881
 
Guild Home Page Guild Officers Diary of events in the Guild Branch details and contacts within the Guild Latest news and newsletters from the Guild and Branches Details of quarters and peals rung in the Guild The Guild Documentation Frequently Asked Questions Links to other ringing websites

Guild History Page
Search this website
St. John Baptist, Granborough, Bucks
Central Bucks branch of the ODG
St. John Baptist, Granborough
St. John Baptist, GranboroughęDB May 2005
Dedication: St. John Baptist, Granborough

Practice night: Wed 7.30pm - 8.30 pm (But NOT the 3rd Wed in the month)

The Bells (5) 8-0-0#

Access to ringing chamber: From a platform in the tower to allow extra facilities for the church.. (Before May 2009 it was a Ground Floor ring)

The following information comes from A.H.Cocks The Church Bells of Buckinghamshire, page 391.

Chris Pickford reports:

Frame: RSJ by Henry Bond of Burford 1902.

Gear: rolled steel headstocks and plain bearings, also by Bond 1902.

A ring of 5, tenor 8-0-0#, diameter 35½”

Bell Diameter
(inches)
Date
cast
Founder Foundry
location
Inscription
Treble 26½ 1637 Ellis Knight Reading FEARE GOD X637
2 29 1887 Mears & Stainbank Whitechapel MEARS & STAINBANK, FOUNDERS, LONDON.
THIS BELL WAS RECAST 1887
REV : A NEWCOMBE, VICAR
EDWARD DICKENS}
HENRY BRAZIER} CHURCHWARDENS.
3 29½ 1623 Robert Atton Buckingham PRAYSE [Rose M7] YE [M7] THE [M7] LORDE 1623 [M7]
4 28½ 1628 Robert Atton Buckingham [Border B10]
[M7] ROBERT [3 bells, R5] ATTON [M7] NATHANIEL [R5] BOULTER 1628 [Arabesque, Fig 68] [B10]
Tenor 35½ c14 Roger Landon Wokingham [Cross F4] In Multis Annis Resonet Campana Iohannis [Lion’s head F2] [Shield F7] [coin, groat]
Sanctus 11¾ c17 Chandler? Drayton Parslow (blank)

Notes:

  1. The inscription on the tenor is gothic with crowned capitals.
  2. The sanctus is mounted on a very old headstock.
Travel Details: OS Grid Ref: SP768250 - Park on road.

Return to the Central Bucks Branch listings page

Valid CSS!  Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional     © Oxford Diocesan Guild of Church Bell Ringers 2009 - Site Map