ODG Guild Header
Established January 17 1881
 
Guild Home Page Guild Officers Diary of events in the Guild Branch details and contacts within the Guild Latest news and newsletters from the Guild and Branches Details of quarters and peals rung in the Guild The Guild Documentation Frequently Asked Questions Links to other ringing websites

Guild History Page
Search this website
Assumption Blessed Virgin Mary, North Marston, Bucks
Central Bucks branch of the ODG
Assumption Blessed Virgin Mary, North Marston
Assumption Blessed Virgin Mary, North Marston ęKMC Apr 2005
Dedication:Assumption Blessed Virgin Mary, North Marston

Service Ringing: 1st Sun 9.20 - 10.00 am. All other Sundays: 8.50 - 9.30 am

The Bells (6) 13-2-27

Access to ringing chamber: Ground floor

The following information comes from a tower notice relayed by Chris Pickford.
Frame & gear all by the Whitechapel Bell Foundry 1925.

A ring of 6; tenor 13-2-27, diameter 44”, tuned to F
Bell Weight
cwt-qr-lb
Diameter
(inches)
Strike
note
Date
cast
Founder Foundry
location
treble 6-0-2 30¾ D 1925 Mears & Stainbank Whitechapel
2 6-2-17 32¾ C 1925 Mears & Stainbank Whitechapel
3 7-2-6 35 Bb 1925 Mears & Stainbank Whitechapel
4 7-3-15 36½ A 1925 Mears & Stainbank Whitechapel
5 10-1-0 40¼ G 1925 Mears & Stainbank Whitechapel
tenor 13-2-27 44 F 1925 Mears & Stainbank Whitechapel

Notes:

Points of interest in church: Old clock about 1730 and chained bible 1617.
(SJ**C) Simon Jenkins Dr. Schorne's 'Jack-in-the-box' Church Architecture

John Schorne was the rector 1290 - 1314. He is reputed to have imprisoned the Devil in a boot, thus enabling him to cure gout. This is allegedly the origin of the 'jack-in-a-box' and of the many 'Boot' inns around North Marston. He also discovered the value of local chalybeate spring water in curing eye infections. His shrine used to be at the east end of the S aisle, represented by a Decorated window, a piscina and a tiny alcove near the floor. Medieval pilgrims left donations which financed the rebuilding of the chancel and clerestory.

The choir stalls are original and have poppyheads and misericords. There is a chained bible dating from 1617 in a glass case and an old clock.

old clock
ęKMC 23 Apr 2005

The old tower clock was built about 1730, probably from a kit. It was in constant use until 1985.The hour hand drive is the right hand part of the mechanism, the hour striking parts are on the left.

Travel Details: OS Grid Ref: SP777226. Village parking

Local points of interest for non ringers: John Schorne's well 150 yds from the church is reputed to have curative properties.

Return to the Central Bucks Branch listings page

Valid CSS!  Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional     © Oxford Diocesan Guild of Church Bell Ringers 2009 - Site Map