ODG Guild Header
Established January 17 1881
   
Guild Home Page Guild Officers Diary of events in the Guild Branch details and contacts within the Guild Latest news and newsletters from the Guild and Branches Details of quarters and peals rung in the Guild The Guild Documentation Frequently Asked Questions Links to other ringing websites

Guild History Page
Search this website
St. Giles, Cheddington, Bucks
Chiltern branch of the ODG
St. Giles, Cheddington
St. Giles, CheddingtonİAlan Bentley 28 Mar 2004
Dedication: St. Giles, Cheddington

Service Ringing: Sun 8.30(3), 9.45(2)

Practice night: alternate months with Marsworth Saturdays 10.30. Please see the Chiltern website for further information.

The Bells (6) 11-3-0

Access to ringing chamber: 10 steps from vestry

The following information comes from the 2002 Church booklet (sic) and from A.H.Cocks The Church Bells of Buckinghamshire, 1897.

A ring of 6; tenor 11-3-0, tuned to F#
Bell Weight
cwt-qr-lb
Diameter
(inches)
Date
cast
Founder Foundry
location
Inscription
treble 5-0-24   1911 Alfred Bowell Ipswich ALFRED BOWELL IPSWICH FOUNDER 1911
2 5-3-14 31½ 1638 James Keene Woodstock GOD SAVE OVR KING 1638 IK
3 7-0-14 34¾ 1593 James Dier Itinerant JOHANNES DIER&dagger HANC CAMPANAM FECIT
4 8-2-14 35½ 1634 James Keene Woodstock [Cross 1] GOD SAVE OVR KING 1634
5 9-2-23   1911 Alfred Bowell Ipswich [inverted shield N2] ancta [E13] maria [E13] ora [E13] pro [E13] nobis [E13]
(recast by Alfred Bowell 1911)
tenor 11-3-0   1638 Richard Chandler Drayton Parslow [Fig 77] RICHARD [Fig 77] CHANDELER [Fig 77] 1638 [Fig 80]

Notes:

  1. The inscription on bell 3 is in ‘clumsy lettering’&daggerthe word ‘DIER’ is inverted.
  2. The gothic script of the original of bell 5 has been preserved in the recasting copying also the omission of the ‘S’ of ‘Sancta’. The original bell was by John Saunders of Reading.
Church Architecture:

The 14th century Chancel was retained when the Nave and North aisle were rebuilt in the 15th century with larger windows to let in the maximum light. The Nave roof was releaded in 1963 and then in stainless steel in 1978 after the lead had been stolen.

The broad 57’ tower was built in the same period as the nave. It is in three stories. In 1983 a new timber floor was constructed to form a separate Ringing Chamber. The ground floor is now the Choir Vestry. (See Photo below.)

From “St Giles Church Cheddington. A Short Guide”,4 June 2002

stained glass
İKMC 23 Apr 2005
Stained glass by David Wasley, 1982/3.
Dedicated to:
Reginald William Bishop, 1985 and Ethel Mary Bishop, 1982.
ringing chamber
İKMC 23 Apr 2005
The Ringing Chamber and Vestry during the branch ringing day, 23 April 2005.
plaque
İKMC 23 Apr 2005
This plaque to the restoration of the bells in 1911 is on the western wall of the nave, to the right of the picture above.


Church facilities: Toilet and kitchen in church

Travel Details: OS Grid Ref: SP922180; park in long church drive.

Public Transport: Nearby railway station (½ mile).

Eating Places: Pubs: ‘The three horseshoes’ & ‘The swan’

Return to the Chiltern Branch listings page

Valid CSS!  Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional     © Oxford Diocesan Guild of Church Bell Ringers 2009 - Site Map