ODG Guild Header
Established January 17 1881
   
Guild Home Page Guild Officers Diary of events in the Guild Branch details and contacts within the Guild Latest news and newsletters from the Guild and Branches Details of quarters and peals rung in the Guild The Guild Documentation Frequently Asked Questions Links to other ringing websites

Guild History Page
Search this website
St. Mary the Virgin, Ivinghoe, Bucks
Chiltern branch of the ODG
St. Mary the Virgin, Ivinghoe
St. Mary the Virgin, Ivinghoe
İAlan Bentley 27 Mar 2004
Dedication: St. Mary the Virgin, Ivinghoe

Service Ringing: Sun 9.00(2,4,5)

Practice night: Mon 7.30pm (alt weeks)

The Bells (6) 15-0-0# - The Bells were restored during 2005

restoration publicityİKMC 23 Apr 2005 In 2005 there was a project to restore the bells.

This picture shows a presentation board in the church describing how and why the restoration was taking place.

During the April 23 2005 Ringing Day, the Tenor was in a precarious state and not being rung, leaving only five bells for our short touch.

The information in the table below was taken from A.H.Cocks The Church Bells of Buckinghamshire, page 435.

In 2005 the 6 bells were rehung with new roller bearings, wheels and other second-hand parts from nearby Aston Clinton when that ring was augmented to 10.

The work, done by Fred Ellis and local carpenter Ian Brindle was completed in July 2005. A quarter peal was then rung on 5 August 2005 to commemorate the installation of the bells in August 1875.Source: RW 26 Aug 2005, p825.

A ring of 6 bells; tenor 15-0-0#, diameter 44¼”
Bell Diameter
(inches)
Date
cast
Founder Foundry
location
Inscription
treble 31¼ 1875 John Warner & Sons London CAST BY JOHN WARNER & SONS LONDON 1875·:·
2 32¾ 1875 John Warner & Sons London (as treble)
3 34½ 1875 John Warner & Sons London (as treble)
4 36½ 1875 John Warner & Sons London (as treble)
5 40½ 1875 John Warner & Sons London (as treble)
tenor 44¼ 1875 John Warner & Sons London (as treble)
Sanctus 16 c.17      

Notes:

Travel Details: OS Grid Ref: SP945161

Return to the Chiltern Branch listings page

Valid CSS!  Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional     © Oxford Diocesan Guild of Church Bell Ringers 2009 - Site Map