|Established January 17 1881|
|St. Mary the Virgin, Stoke Mandeville, Bucks
Chiltern branch of the ODG
St. Mary the Virgin, Stoke Mandeville©PB 5 Apr 2004
Dedication: St. Mary the Virgin, Stoke Mandeville
Service Ringing: Most Sundays, 8.30
Practice night: Tue 7.30pm
Availability and Restrictions: On application, minimum of 1 week‘s notice
The Bells (8) 8-1-10 - last refurbished 1992 by Berry of Malvern
According to The Ringing World (Bell News), 19 May 1911, page 111, in 1910 the old treble of five was recast, a new treble added to make six and all rehung in a new iron frame by James Barwell of Birmingham.
The Bells were last refurbished in 1992, by A.C.Berry of Malvern, Worcs. The work comprised mostly woodwork, bell wheels, pulleys and stays, with a few missing nuts and bolts. All bells are on roller-bearings.
Frame: two-tier, 1 and 2 above. Back six hang in iron H-frame by Barwell.
|treble||3-1-4||23¾||Ab||1929||Mears & Stainbank||Whitechapel||GOD IS LOVE|
|2||3-1-14||23¾||G||1929||Mears & Stainbank||Whitechapel||JESUS IS LORD|
|3||3-2-10||25¾||F||1945||Mears & Stainbank||Whitechapel||IN EXCELSIS GLORIA|
|4||3-3-0#||26¾||Eb||1910||James Barwell||Birmingham||HONOUR GOD|
|5||4-3-2||29¼||Db||1929||Mears & Stainbank||Whitechapel||PRAYES THE LORD I633|
|6||5-0-0#||31¼||C||1913||James Barwell||Birmingham||ST. MARY THE VIRGIN|
|7||7-0-0#||33||Bb||1910||James Barwell||Birmingham||TE DEUM LAUDAMUS|
|Tenor||8-1-10||36||Ab||1952||Mears & Stainbank||Whitechapel||none|
The table below shows details of the older bells before recasting in 1929, using the bell numbers of the current ring. The older inscriptions are copied from A.H.Cocks The Church Bells of Buckinghamshire, 1897.
Return to the Chiltern Branch listings page
© Oxford Diocesan Guild of Church Bell Ringers 2009 - Site Map