|Established January 17 1881|
|Holy Trinity , Ascott-under-Wychwood, Oxon
Chipping Norton branch of the ODG
Holy Trinity, Ascott-under-Wychwood
Dedication: Holy Trinity, Ascott-under-Wychwood
Service Ringing: Sun 9.30
Practice night: Tuesday
Availability and Restrictions: available for visitors and for quarter peals. Peals are possible.
The Bells (6) 7-2-0#
Five bells were cast in 1744 by Henry Bagley III. The Bagleys were a family of bell founders based at Chacombe in Northamptonshire who set up a temporary foundry in Witney. They supplied bells for towers in Fulbrook, Witney, Shilton, Westwell and Standlake. The sixth bell, the treble, was added in 1905 when the tower was renovated. This bell was a gift from the Cornbury Estate and was cast at Whitechapel.
All the five original bells bear inscriptions identifying the maker and the two churchwardens of the time. These were John Chaundy and Michael Rose. In addition the 2nd bell bears the inscription "A new song sing unto the Lord" and the 3rd "Fear God and honour the King".
The following information is from F. Sharpe The Church Bells of Oxfordshire. He visited the tower in 1948.
|Treble||3-0-2||F#||1905||Mears & Stainbank||Whitechapel||MEARS & STAINBANK, FOUNDERS, LONDON.
IN 1905, WAS I MADE, AS A GIFT FROM CORNBURY
|2||3-3-0#||E||1744||Henry Bagley III||Witney||IOHN CHAUNDY MICHAELL ROSE C W HB MADE MEE J744
[Border H12 on cable moulding all round bell]
SING [H1] UNTO [H1] THE [H1] LORD [H1] A [H1] NEW [H1] SONG [H1]
|3||4-1-0#||D||1744||Henry Bagley III||Witney||FEAR GOD HONOUR THE KING J744 [two coins] [Border H1]|
|4||5-0-0#||C#||1744||Henry Bagley III||Witney||HENRY BAGLEY MADE THIS PEAL IT IS SURE IN THE YEAR J744|
|5||6-0-0#||B||1744||Henry Bagley III||Witney||MICHAELL ROSE IOHN CHAUNDY C WARDENS H BAGLEY MA. M. J744|
|Tenor||7-2-0#||A||1744||Henry Bagley III||Witney||IOHN CHAUNDY MICHAELL ROSE CHURCH WARDENS H B MADE MEE J744|
The following information comes from the Chipping Norton website. Ascott is a small Cotswold village in the Evenlode Valley close to the Oxfordshire Way. The houses consist of attractive limestone cottages round the village green. The village is famous for the Ascott Martyrs who were imprisoned when they protested against low agricultural wages.
The church is partly of Norman origin and is set in a large churchyard featuring a long avenue of Lime trees. The interior of the church is quite plain and in the chancel is a three-seated sedilia. The windows are in various styles dating from circa 1290 Early English to circa 1560 Perpendicular.The Clock:
In 1920 the clock was moved from the stable block at Corbury Park to the church. It strikes on its own clock bell and so does not require hammers to be pulled off.Travel Details: OS Grid Ref: SP301187
Eating Places: The Swan Inn opposite the church
© Oxford Diocesan Guild of Church Bell Ringers 2009 - Site Map