|Established January 17 1881|
|St. Nicholas, Asthall, Oxon
Chipping Norton branch of the ODG
St. Nicholas, AsthallİBM 18 Oct 2004
Dedication: St. Nicholas, Asthall
Service Ringing: We now ring for the two services each month - on the first Sunday at Evensong - ringing from 5.15 pm to 6.00 and on the third Sunday at 0900 for the Holy Communion at 0930.
Practice night: practices are currently held in Burford, St John.
The Bells (6) 6-0-10 tuned to A. Restored and augmented from 3 in 2005.
Access to ringing chamber: Gallery accessed by a 13-step oak ladder from the vestry.
According to the church warden records the bells were restored in 1859 when three bells were installed in a new oak frame and a new treble was cast by Taylors of Loughborough using some of the metal from the old one. About 40 years ago, about 1965, the oak frame became unsafe and ringing was suspended.
In 2005 the bells were augmented to six with three new trebles and the cracked Sanctus was welded and rehung; all seven bells hang on one level in a new metal bellframe with entirely new fittings.
The old decayed oak frame was removed by local volunteers. The fifth was left with its original early C15th tuning. The old treble and tenor were retuned by the Whitechapel Foundry to become the new fourth and tenor; Whitechapel also cast the three new trebles, removed the canons from the fourth and drilled out the crown staples from the fifth and tenor which were then fitted with canon-retaining headstocks.
A new gallery was installed for the ringers with a 13-step oak ladder up from the vestry.
The new gear and rehanging was done by Nicholson Engineering who supplied the bell weights and sizes in the table below.
Other information was supplied by Jeremy Holland, tower Correspondent of Asthall in 2006.
The Bells were rung for service for the first time after the restoration at 9am on Sunday 15 January 2006.
|treble||2-3-21||235/16||F#||2005||Whitechapel||London|| O COME LET US SING UNTO THE LORD:
LET US MAKE A JOYFUL NOISE
TO THE ROCK OF OUR SALVATION
PSALM 95: 1 ad 2005
|2||3-0-21||24¼||E||2005||Whitechapel||London||IN MEMORY OF Leonard Allan Darke 1914 - 2000
|3||3-3-12||26½||D||2005||Whitechapel||London||IN MEMORY OF NANCY, PAMELA, TOM, DIANA, UNITY AND
WE LIVED AT ASTHALL 1919 - 26
|4||3-2-20||27¾||C#||1859||John Taylor & Co.||Loughborough||[cross J9] EDWARD TIMMS AND JOHN LOVETT CHURCHWARDENS 1859 [cross J9] JOHN TAYLOR AND CO. FOUNDERS LOUGHBOROUGH [J6]|
|5||4-1-0||30||B||15th cent.||Wokingham||[cross F4] Ave Maria [Lion’s head, F2] [coin]|
|Tenor||6-0-10||327/16||A||15th cent.||Wokingham||Sancti Johannis Ora Pro Nobis [Lion’s head, F2] [coin] [F4]|
|Sanctus||0-1-14#||1640||James Keene||Wooodstock||HARMAN FLECHER RICHARD GVRDIN CW 1640
Asthall lies on the route of the old Roman road from Cirencester to Bicester Akeman Street at the point where it crosses the river Windrush. In the Domesday Book of 1086 'Esthale' was held for the King by Roger D'Ivery. The church dates from the early 1100s. There are some fine examples of Cotswold tombs like those below, which date from the heyday of the wool trade in the 16th and 17th centuries.
Eton College was the Patron of the living from 1443 until the end of the 19th century.
Church with 15th century tower and Manor House.İKMC 8 Oct 2005
The church is adjacent to an Elizabethan Manor built in 1620 by Sir William Jones, altered and enlarged by C.Bateman in 1916. In King Charles' time, it was the home of William Lenthall, the speaker of the House of Commons in the Long Parliament. There is a memorial to his parents in North Leigh.
In 1919 David Freeman-Mitford, Lord Redesdale, moved into the Manor house with his son and 6 daughters, later famous as 'The Mitford Sisters', Nancy, Pamela, Diana, Unity, Jessica and Deborah. They lived there until 1926 when they moved to Swinbrook where some of them are buried. Deborah married the Duke of Devonshire and spent her married life at Chatsworth House in Derbyshire. She gave one of the new bells of 2005 in memory of her siblings.Inside the church:
he North chapel was a chantry chapel of Burford Priory. The walls are 12th century, the remainder 14th.
North chapel with effigy. İKMC 8 Oct 2005
Thought to be Lady Joan Cornwall,
wife of the grandson of King John.
Fire destroyed the rood loft in the 1870s, and damaged the bell frame and the original treble. A Victorian restoration took place in the late 1890s including wall paintings and ceiling and a chancel arch with beakheads.
There are several mass dials on the southern wall of the nave but no sundial or modern clock in the tower in 2006.
Points of interest in church:
Local points of interest for non ringers:
Elizabethan Manor House nearby, scratch mass dials and Cotswold bale and table tombs.
© Oxford Diocesan Guild of Church Bell Ringers 2009 - Site Map