|Established January 17 1881|
|St. John, Burford, Oxon
Chipping Norton branch of the ODG
St. John, BurfordęKMC 19 Oct 2002
Dedication: St. John, Burford
Service Ringing: Sun 10.25
Practice night: Fri 7.30pm (not 1st)
The Bells (8) 17-3-1
This information comes from Andrew Bull. The inscriptions are taken from F. Sharpe The Church Bells of Oxfordshire. He visited the tower in 1949 (before the restoration below).
The ring was rehung by Gillett & Johnston in 1950 in a metal H-pattern frame with cast-iron headstocks, fixed steel gudgeons, self-aligning ball-bearings, traditional wheels and sliders.A ring of 8; tenor 17-3-1 tuned to E
|Treble||6-0-2||27¼||E||1771||Matthew Bagley II||Chacombe||EDWARD : ANSELL : IAMES : MONK : ABSOLOM : MONK : CHURCH-WARDENS
MATTHEW :-: BAGLEY :-: MADE :-: MEE J77J [border]
|2||6-1-16||30½||D#||1868||Henry Bond||Burford||[Bell M9 twice]
CAST BY H. BOND & SON. BELLFOUNDERS
|3||7-0-2||31||C#||1949||Gillett & Johnston||Croydon||unknown†|
|4||8-0-15||33¼||B||1949||Gillett & Johnston||Croydon||unknown†|
|5||9-0-5||36||A||1885||Henry Bond||Burford||Blessed be the name of the lorde‡
Joseph [bell] carter‡
WILLIAM ANTHONY CASS VICAR
THOMAS ,, BROWN
JOHN,, JACOBS CHURCHWARDENS
RECAST IN 1885 BY H. BOND & SON BURFOR. OXON.
|6||11-2-26||39½||G#||1635||Henry Neale||Burford||THOMAS [Lion L10]
<> HVNT. [L10]
TAYLER: CH WA [L10]
|7||13-0-16||41¾||F#||1635||Henry Neale||Burford||[Lion L10] [Cross M4] [L10] THOMAS [L10] SILVISTER [L10] IOHN [L10] HVNT [L10] ROBERT [L10] TAYLER [heart] <> THOMAS [L10] [heart]TVNCKES <> [Fleur-de-lys Q5] 1635 <> [heart]|
|Tenor||17-3-1||46¾||E||c. 1330||Unknown||S A N C T A M A R I A‡ [Cross Q9]|
The market town of Burford is situated on the edge of the Cotswolds about 20 miles west of Oxford. Its wealth came mostly from the wool and cloth trade from which much of the profit was spent on the parish church of St. John.
The church hosts a number of chapels and memorials the most elaborate of which is the tomb of Sir Lawrence Tanfield and his wife in the North Chancel Chapel.
Another notable memorial in the Nave North Aisle is to Edmund Harman, Henry VIII’s barber and courtier:
ęKMC 19 Oct 2002
Outside in the Churchyard
The Levellers were originally part of Cromwell's army in the Civil War but they mutinied against Cromwell because they wanted more democracy than Cromwell was prepared to countenance.
About 340 of them were imprisoned in Burford church for 3 days and nights, harangued by Cromwell himself before 3 of the ringleaders were taken out to be shot standing against the wall of the church, while the rest were herded up on to the roof to watch the executions, together with a regiment of loyal troops.
A few days later the church warden accounts record a payment of 3 shillings and 6 pence for cleaning of the church after the Levellers were taken. Later still when Cromwell's forces had left the area, the vicar recorded the three deaths in the parish burial register with no details.Points of interest in church:
Simon Jenkins lists Merchants' guild chapel, Red Indian memorial, Kempe glass.. On the wall outside is a plaque commemorating three ‘Levellers’ of the 17th Century; several hundred were imprisoned by Cromwellian forces in the church during the Civil War. One carved his name on the lead of the font. Three others were shot just outside the church.Church facilities:
Travel Details: OS Grid Ref: SP253124. - Park in public car parks
Local points of interest for non ringers:
© Oxford Diocesan Guild of Church Bell Ringers 2009 - Site Map