|Established January 17 1881|
|All Saints, Churchill, Oxon
Chipping Norton branch of the ODG
All Saints, Churchill
Dedication: All Saints, Churchill
Service Ringing: Sun 10.10
Practice night: Tue 7.30 pm (except 1st)
The Bells (8) 10-3-9
Four bells from the old church were recast and hung in the new church together with two new ones to make a peal of six by Robert Taylor of Oxford. In 1957 two further bells (trebles) were added and the two heaviest recast by Taylor of Loughborough to make a peal of eight.
The information in the following table is taken from a framed list in the ringing chamber. The inscriptions on the four older bells are taken from F. Sharpe The Church Bells of Oxfordshire. He visited the tower in 1948.A ring of 8; tenor 10-3-9, diameter 39”, tuned to G
|Treble||3-3-8||25||G||1957||John Taylor & Co||Loughborough|
|2||4-0-12||26||F#||1957||John Taylor & Co||Loughborough|
|3||5-1-24||29¼||E||1826||Robert Taylor & Sons||Oxford||M [other letters filed off]|
|4||5-2-14||30½||D||1826||Robert Taylor & Sons||Oxford||MDCCCXXVI|
|5||5-2-27||32||C||1826||Robert Taylor & Sons||Oxford||MDCCCXXVI|
|6||6-1-5||33½||B||1826||Robert Taylor & Sons||Oxford||R. TAYLOR & SONS FOUNDERS. MDCCCXXVI|
|7||7-3-10||35||A||1957||John Taylor & Co||Loughborough|
|Tenor||10-3-9||39||G||1957||John Taylor & Co||Loughborough|
The following information comes from the Chipping Norton website.
Churchill, which is the birth place of William Smith, Geologist, has a population of approximately 500 and is three miles from Chipping Norton.
All Saints church was consecrated in 1827 and the tower is a scaled down version of Magdalen College, Oxford. The roof of the nave is patterned on Christ Church Hall, Oxford. The church replaced an older one which was situated in what is now the cemetery.Points of interest in church: The tower is a scaled down replica of Magdalen College tower in Oxford.
Travel Details: OS Grid Ref: SP283241
Eating Places: ‘The Chequers’ is opposite.
© Oxford Diocesan Guild of Church Bell Ringers 2009 - Site Map