ODG Guild Header
Established January 17 1881
   
Guild Home Page Guild Officers Diary of events in the Guild Branch details and contacts within the Guild Latest news and newsletters from the Guild and Branches Details of quarters and peals rung in the Guild The Guild Documentation Frequently Asked Questions Links to other ringing websites

Guild History Page
Search this website
St. Nicholas, Idbury, Oxon
Chipping Norton branch of the ODG
St. Nicholas, Idbury
St. Nicholas, Idbury İBM 18 Oct 2004
Dedication: St. Nicholas, Idbury

Availability and Restrictions *Status unknown*

The Bells (3) 8-3-0#

The following information comes from F. Sharpe The Church Bells of Oxfordshire.He last visited the tower in 1935.

Frame: oak and cast-iron.
Gear: rolled-steel headstocks, plate gudgeons, plain brass bearings.
Messrs. Bond since 1890.

A ring of 3, tenor 8-3-0#, diameter 36¼”,tuned to A
Bell Weight
cwt-qr-lb
Strike
Note
Date
cast
Founder Foundry
location
Inscription
Treble 5-1-0# C# 1749 Abel Rudhall Gloucester PEACE AND GOOD NEIGHBOURHOOD A[Bell]R 1749 [Border D8]
2 6-3-0# B 15th cent.   Worcester [Cross E5] DIRIGE [King’s head E4] VIRGO [Queen’s head E6] PIA [E4] QVOS [E6] CONGREGO [E4] SANCTA [E6] MARIA
Tenor 8-3-0# A 15th cent.   Worcester [Cross E5] IHESVS [E4] NAZARENVS [E6] REX [E4] IUDEORUM [E6] FILI [E4] DEI [E6] MISERERE [E4] MEI
Sanctus 1-0-0#   circa 1320   Toddington [Cross L2] AVE : PLENA : GRACIA

Notes:

  1. The inscriptions on the second, tenor and sanctus are in Gothic lettering.
Travel Details: OS Grid Ref: SP236200

Return to the Chipping Norton Branch listings page

Valid CSS!  Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional     © Oxford Diocesan Guild of Church Bell Ringers 2009 - Site Map