|Established January 17 1881|
|St. Denys, Little Compton, Warks
Chipping Norton branch of the ODG
St. Denys, Little Compton
Dedication: St. Denys, Little Compton
Service Ringing: Sun (variable)
Practice night: Mon 7.30pm (alt with Chastleton & Salford)
The Bells (5) 6-2-6
The Bells were re-hung in the H. Bond iron frame of 1899 with new fittings for the millennium and rededicated in December 1999.A ring of 5; tenor 6-2-6 tuned to A
|Treble||3-1-24||25¾||E||1899||H Bond & Son||Burford|
The following information comes from the Chipping Norton website.
Little Compton is a small village of some 250 people situated to the West of Chipping Norton. There is a local pub, a village hall and a thriving bowls club but no shop, post office or school. The history of the village goes back to the 11th century when it was known as Compton in Floribis - Compton in the Flowers.
The original church on the site was built in the Norman period. Extensive rebuilding in 1863/4 almost obliterated the original work, although Norman remains can still be seen forming part of the small window in the South side of the Chancel. Further work was carried out in the 1930s when the small chapel on the South side was made out of an existing side aisle. The windows in this chapel depict Edward the Confessor and St Denys on the left and the story of the execution of Charles 1 on January 30th 1649 in the right. This window is known as the Juxon window after Bishop William Juxon who lived in the village at the time and was a close friend of Charles 1Travel Details: OS Grid Ref: SP261303 roadside parking - Easy access from A44, Moreton/Chipping Norton road
Eating Places: Pub ‘The Red Lion Inn’ at SP258302 welcomes large or small groups. Tel: 01608 674397
© Oxford Diocesan Guild of Church Bell Ringers 2009 - Site Map