|Established January 17 1881|
|St. Mary, Shipton-under-Wychwood, Oxon
Chipping Norton branch of the ODG
St. Mary, Shipton-under-WychwoodİBM 3 May 2004
Dedication: St. Mary, Shipton-under-Wychwood
Service Ringing: Sun (variable)
Practice night: Wed 7.30 pm (please confirm)
The Bells (8) 14-3-0#
The oldest bell is the 5th which was cast in 1628 by James Keene of Woodstock. The next oldest is the 7th which was cast in 1726 by Abraham Rudhall (II) of Gloucester. The tenor was cast in 1634 by Henry Bagley of Chacombe but had some work done on it by R. Taylor & Sons of Loughborough in 1828.
The remaining five bells were all recast in 1893 by Mears and Stainbank. The 5th and 7th were both fitted with canon-retaining metal headstocks by Whites of Appleton in May 1987A ring of 8; tenor 14-3-0#, diameter 44", tuned to F
Detailed information in this table is from F. Sharpe The Church Bells of Oxfordshire. He visited the tower in 1933.
|Treble||4-3-14||F||1893||Mears & Stainbank||Whitechapel||MEARS & STAINBANK, WHITECHAPEL FOUNDRY, LONDON, 1893.
VENITE EXULTEMUS DOMINO.
|2||5-1-27||E||1893||Mears & Stainbank||Whitechapel||MEARS & STAINBANK, WHITECHAPEL FOUNDRY, LONDON, 1893.
TE DEUM LAUDAMUS.
|3||6-0-8||D||1893||Mears & Stainbank||Whitechapel||MEARS & STAINBANK, WHITECHAPEL FOUNDRY, LONDON, 1893.
CANTATE DOMINO CANTICUM NOVUM.
|4||6-3-14||C||1893||Mears & Stainbank||Whitechapel||MEARS & STAINBANK, WHITECHAPEL FOUNDRY, LONDON, 1893.
BENEDICTE OMNIA OPERA DOMINI DOMINO.
|5||7-2-0#||Bb||1628||James Keene||Woodstock||JAMES KEENE [A2]
M 1628 [A2]
[Border B2 all round bell]
|6||8-2-3||A||1893||Mears & Stainbank||Whitechapel||MEARS & STAINBANK, WHITECHAPEL FOUNDRY, LONDON, 1893.
OLIM E QUINQUE SECUNDA LEVATA VOCE SONABO.
|7||11-0-0#||G||1726||Abraham Rudhall II||Gloucester||ROBERT WISDOME & NICH: WILLETT CH-WARDENS 1726 [Border D2]|
|Tenor||14-3-0#||F||1828||R. Taylor & Sons||Loughborough||[Cable moulding border
Q7 all round bell]
[Bell A5 thrice] HENRY : BAGLEY [B7] MADE [B7] MEE [B7] 1634 [Q7] [B7] VOBISSCOMBE CONCORDO : DEUM LAVDARE [B7]
[Cable moulding all round bell above sound-bow]
The following information comes from the Chipping Norton website.
Shipton is situated on the A361 halfway between Burford and Chipping Norton. The village has three public houses, two shops and two garages. A new village hall has recently been built which has tennis courts, a football pitch, a bowls green and a cricket ground.
The church is in the middle of the village overlooking the village green and is immediately visible from the main road. It was first mentioned in 1115 when Henry I gave land at Shipton to maintain a stall in Salisbury Cathedral. The present church was mainly built in the 12th century with some Norman work having been carried out on the tower.Church facilities:
Travel Details: OS Grid Ref: SP280180. Park in ‘no through road’.
Eating Places: Pub ‘The Shaven Crown’.
Local points of interest for non ringers: ‘The Shaven Crown Inn’ is a monastic guest house with a Great Hall. Now a hotel it was originally built for visitors by monks in the 15th century. Local tradition says it was a guest house of Bruern Abbey.
The enclosure Acts and development of farm machinery to do many of the labouring jobs on farms meant that work was scarce and insecure in the mid-nineteenth century. Over two-thirds of the population of Shipton were driven away from the land they had worked for generations and forced to find employment elsewhere. On the village green close to ‘The Shaven Crown Inn’ is a memorial to four tragic Shipton families who set out to emigrate to New Zealand in 1874. They took all the belongings they could carry, trekked to Gravesend and boarded the steamship "Cospatrick" which was sadly overloaded. It caught fire off Tristan da Cuhna and sank. Of the 477 emigrants on board only 3 survived.
© Oxford Diocesan Guild of Church Bell Ringers 2009 - Site Map