ODG Guild Header
Established January 17 1881
St. Mary & All Saints, Beaconsfield, Bucks
East Berks & South Bucks branch of the ODG
St. Mary & All Saints, Beaconsfield
St. Mary & All Saints, Beaconsfield ©BM 25 Feb 2002
Dedication: St. Mary & All Saints, Beaconsfield

Service Ringing: Sun 9.20-10.00am, 5.50-6.30pm

Practice night: Fri 8.00- 9.30pm

Availability and Restrictions By prior arrangement.

The Bells (8) 19-1-20

Access to ringing chamber: 12 steps

The Bells were rehung in 1977 by the Whitechapel Bell Foundry, at which time the 2nd and 6th were re-cast. The existing wooden frame was retained but new headstocks fitted with roller-bearings were installed. A concrete ring-beam was cast to replace infested wooden support beams and stabilise the tower. Subsequently, sound control was fitted to reduce the sound level on practice nights.

The diameters and inscriptions in the table below are copied from A.H.Cocks page 313.

A ring of 8; tenor 19-1-20, tuned to D
Bell Weight
cwt-qr-lb
Diameter Strike
Note
Date
cast
Founder Foundry
location
Inscription
treble 5-2-08 30½ D 1884 Mears &
Stainbank
Whitechapel MEARS & STAINBANK FOUNDERS LONDON
VOX EGO SUM VITÆ.
MDCCCLXXXIV.
TO THE GLORY OF GOD; AND IN MEMORY OF
EDMUND BURKE.
UNG ROY. UNG FOY. UNG LOY.
2 5-3-02   C# 1977 as treble as treble  
3 6-2-07   B 1884 as treble as treble CAST BY H. BAGLEY. MDCCXXII.
RECAST BY MEARS & STAINBANK, MDCCCXXXIV.
4 7-2-26   A 1884 as treble as treble as third
5 9-1-18   G 1884 as treble as treble as third
6 11-0-24   F# 1977 as treble as treble  
7 14-3-18   E 1884 as treble as treble as third
tenor 19-1-20 49¾ D 1884 as treble as treble MEARS AND STAINBANK FOUNDERS LONDON.
VOCO VOS ORATE VENITE.
MDCCCLXXXIV.
TO THE GLORY OF GOD AND IN MEMORY OF
BENJAMIN DISRAELI EARL OF BEACONSFIELD. K.G.
FORTI NIHIL DIFFICILE.

Notes:

The following information is taken mostly from the Beaconsfield Web site.

  1. The Beaconsfield Parish Church now has a ring of eight bells, re-cast by Mears & Stainbank in 1884. The tower was reopened after restoration on 9th September 1884.The 2nd and 6th were re-cast again in 1977.
  2. The last line of the treble inscription is the Burke's family motto, written in Norman-French. The English translation is "One King, one faith, one law".
  3. The last line of the tenor inscription is Lord Beaconsfield's family motto. Cocks (page 288) gives the English translation as "To the brave nothing is difficult."
Points of interest in church:

  • Edmund Burke memorial.
  • in the restoration of 1884 public subscriptions funded two bells, one in memory of Edmund Burke the other of the 1st Earl of Beaconsfield, Benjamin Disraeli
  • Listed tombs in graveyard including the Anthony memorial of 1707 and a chest tomb with railings of Edmund Waller 1687.
The Clock:

The clock is by J SMITH & SONS 1885. It chimes the quarters and strikes the hours.

Church facilities: Toilet in the adjacent Fitzwilliam Centre. Public Toilets across the road, next to the pub, The Greyhound

Travel Details: OS Grid Ref: SU945900

Eating Places: Pubs, restaurants and teashop nearby.

Local points of interest for non ringers: Bekonscot Model Village (1 mile)

Return to the EBSB Branch listings page