ODG Guild Header
Established January 17 1881
St. Andrew, Clewer, Berks
East Berks & South Bucks branch of the ODG
St. Andrew, Clewer
St. Andrew, Clewer ©PM March 2004
Dedication:St. Andrew, Clewer

Service Ringing: Sun 9.45 - 10.15am

Practice night: Fri 8.00 - 9.00pm

Availability and Restrictions On request for visitors’ outings, quarter and full peals.

The Bells (6) 14-2-25 new ropes in Nov 2002.

Access to ringing chamber: Ground floor

The following information comes from Andrew Bull , a Taylor job book and the tower web site. The older inscriptions are copied from F.Sharpe, 'The Church bells of Berkshire' by permission of the Sharpe Trustees. That for bell 3 was sent by Jane Cockman, Bellringers' secretary, St Andrews, Clewer in April 2006.

Frame: 3-6 oak, 1,2 above in composite frame.
Gear: wooden headstocks, ball-bearings.

A ring of 6, tenor 14-2-25, tuned to F#
Bell Weight
cwt-qr-lb
Strike
Note
Date
cast
Founder Foundry
location
Inscription
Treble 5-2-16 D# 1897 Mears & Stainbank Whitechapel MEARS & STAINBANK, FOUNDERS, LONDON. 1897
2 6-1-12 C# 1866 Mears & Stainbank Whitechapel Mears & Stainbank, Founders, London, 1866.
Dominus Regnavit
3 6-3-2 B 1967 J. Taylor & Co. Loughborough BENEDICTUS DOMINUS
4 8-1-2 A# 1862 George Mears Whitechapel G.MEARS & CO. FOUNDERS, LONDON, 1862
Cum Angelis
5 10-0-9 G# 1862 George Mears Whitechapel G.MEARS & CO. FOUNDERS, LONDON, 1862
Jubilate Deo
Tenor 14-2-25 F# 1862 George Mears Whitechapel G.MEARS & CO. FOUNDERS, LONDON, 1862
Adeste Fideles

Notes:

  1. F.Sharpe, 'the Church bells of Berkshire', page 69 states that the lower case lettering on bells 2 and 3 is in ornamental Gothic type.
  2. He also states that the 2nd line of the inscription on bells, 4, 5 and the tenor are incised on the waist of the bells
Architecture:

The parish church of St Andrew, the oldest building in the parish of Clewer, is on the river bank about one mile west of Eton Bridge The large churchyard contains a magnificent cedar tree and some noteworthy tombstones.

The nave and chancel of the old Norman church built during the reign of Henry I are now the south chapel and aisle.

The first addition to this building was the present nave erected later in the C 12th and of architectural interest. The north aisle was added later in about 1180 and varies in style from the older aisle. The oldest arch in the church divides the Chantry Chapel from the main body of the church. The circular-headed twin windows at the west end are original though the windows in the south wall and the early English doorway of chalk belong to a later date.

The earlier parts of the church are built of chalk which was probably quarried locally from the chalk cliff on which Windsor Castle now stands. From this Clewer gained its original name of Cliff Wara or Clivore meaning cliff dwellers.

Clerestory windows were added in the C 14th.

The present chancel was restored by Woodyer about 1858. The Victorian Reredos behind the High Altar is also his. Added also in the C 14th was the Chantry Chapel or Brocas Chapel. This contains a piscina and an Easter sepulchre.

From the guide book by Joan Hewitt which contains further detail.

More details can be found on their church website including lots of history and a picture of the millennium window, installed in 2002 in the South wall of the bell tower, replacing the one damaged in 1998.

 
Church Lodge back Church Lodge, Clewer ©PM March 2004
This shows the back of Church Lodge which houses the Clewer local history museum whose catalogue is on the church website given above; the blue door leads to the toilet.
Gooch tomb
Gooch Family Tomb ©PM March 2004
Sir Daniel Gooch initially worked for Stephenson but liked the idea of a broad gauge railway so he became Brunel's chief engineer working on the early locomotives of the Great Western Railway, including the North Star. Later, in 1866, he guided Brunel's iron steamship 'The Great Eastern'to lay the first transatlantic undersea cable.


Reference: Isambard Kingdom Brunel. by L.T.C.Holt. Pub: Penguin Books 1957 ISBN 0-14-007986-6

Points of interest in church Saxon font, decorated church. In the churchyard is the grave of railway pioneer Daniel Gooch and the grave of Titanic victim Owen Allum.

Church facilities: Toilet in the nearby Church Lodge, visitors should request the key be made available.

Travel Details: OS Grid Ref: SU955773 - Near Windsor, where parking is very expensive. The Church is in Mill Lane, which is a cul-de-sac, with a few roads off, but all cul-de-sacs.

In theory you can park a car, free of charge, in Mill Lane and Clewer Court Road beside the church but all the spaces are usually taken. If you drive past the Church Lodge and take the first turning on the left you are in Clewer Park (that's just a road). I have always found a space here. It is quite a walk back to the church though which is in the middle of the churchyard.

Eating Places: There is a pub, The Swan on the corner, of A308 and Mill Lane. A Harvester nearby. There is no cafe near but there are lots in the middle of Windsor.

Local points of interest for non ringers: Clewer is a village located at the heart of ancient sites steeped in history, providing places to visit which talk of 'Of shoes--and ships--and sealing-wax--Of cabbages--and kings--!'

  1. Within the Churchyard itself there are some interesting graves, including that for Sir Daniel Gooch, First Superintendent of the Great Western Railway and one for a young lad who was drowned in the tragic sinking of the Titanic.

  2. Top of the list of interesting sights has to be Windsor Castle – home of kings and queens for centuries, which is three quarters of a mile away; too well known to include a picture!

  3. The river Thames is 3-4 minutes’ walk from the Church, with scenic tow-path walks and plenty of ducks and swans to be fed! If you walk far enough you will come to the lock. Boat trips are available from near Eton Bridge.

  4. Eton is accessible via the river or by road; the High Street has several antique shops and a variety of gift shops which include The Cat Shop and Teddy Bear Shop.

  5. Legoland is only a couple of miles away for those with children to be entertained and plenty of time to spare.

  6. Runnymede is also within easy reach, taking the main road through Old Windsor towards the M25: a famous and historic National Trust site and beauty spot with riverside meadows. This is where the Magna Carta was sealed by King John in 1215. There is also a fine walk up the hill to the John F. Kennedy Memorial and to the American Bar Association Memorial. At the end of this site are the Fairhaven Lodges designed by Lutyens for those interested in the Arts and Crafts movement. The site also has a NT tea room with a small shop which is highly recommended.

  7. On the way to Runnymede, just off a roundabout and within the Castle grounds, is an excellent Farm Shop where Royal produce can be purchased.


Return to the EBSB Branch listings page