ODG Guild Header
Established January 17 1881
 
Guild Home Page Guild Officers Diary of events in the Guild Branch details and contacts within the Guild Latest news and newsletters from the Guild and Branches Details of quarters and peals rung in the Guild The Guild Documentation Frequently Asked Questions Links to other ringing websites

Guild History Page
Search this website
SS. Peter & Andrew, Old Windsor, Berks
East Berks & South Bucks branch of the ODG
SS. Peter & Andrew, Old Windsor
SS. Peter & Andrew, Old Windsor ©PB 14 Apr 2004
Dedication: SS. Peter & Andrew, Old Windsor

Service Ringing: Sun 10.30am (10.00am on festivals).

Practice night: Tue 7.30pm

Availability and Restrictions Available for Visiting ringers, quarter peals and peals.

The Bells (8) 11-2-21

Access to ringing chamber: Ground floor

The following information comes from F.Sharpe The Church Bells of Berkshire. He last visited the tower in 1970.

Frame: Oak, Mears & Stainbank, 1890.
Gear: Elm headstocks, Plate gudgeons, Self-aligning ball bearings, Traditional English type wheels, Traditional stays; Whitechapel Foundry.
The ring was restored in 1969 by Mears & Stainbank. The weights in thetable below for bells 1-7 are those from before the restoration.

A ring of 8, tenor 11-2-21, diameter 41½”, tuned to G
Bell Weight
cwt-qr-lb
Strike
note
Date
cast
Founder Foundry
location
Inscription
Treble 4-1-21 G 1890 Mears & Stainbank Whitechapel MEARS & STAINBANK, WHITECHAPEL FOUNDRY, LONDON.
PRESENTED BY J. H. HINDSON,
VICAR OF WAYSBURY
FORMERLY ASST. CURATE OF THIS PARISH.
A.D. 1890.
“IN FILIO DEI VIS MEA.”
T. E. HARWOOD, VICAR.
FRANCIS RICARDO
ROBERT BUTLER CHURCHWARDENS. 1890.
2 4-3-24 F# 1890 Mears & Stainbank Whitechapel MEARS & STAINBANK, WHITECHAPEL FOUNDRY, LONDON.
TO THE GLORY OF GOD,
AND IN MEMORY OF HER BELOVED HUSBAND,
ARTHUR HENRY MOORE,
THIS BELL WAS GIVEN BY ELLEN MOORE,
A.D. 1890
“VIVIT POST FUNERA VIRTUS”
T. E. HARWOOD, VICAR.
FRANCIS RICARDO
ROBERT BUTLER CHURCHWARDENS. 1890.
3 4-2-21 E 1872 Mears & Stainbank Whitechapel MEARS & STAINBANK, FOUNDERS, LONDON. 1872.
LAUS TIBI SIT SALVO PRINCIPE, LAETA DEUS.
FEB: XXVII 1872.
4 5-1-0# D 1775 Thomas Swaine Longford THOS. SWAINE : MADE : US : ALL : IN : 1775 [Founder’s mark Fig 72]
5 6-0-4 C 1890 Mears & Stainbank Whitechapel THOS. SWAINE : FECIT : 1775. RECAST BY MEARS & STAINBANK, 1890.
6 6-3-0# B 1775 Thomas Swaine Longford THOS. SWAINE : CAST : MEE : THE : JJ : DAY : OF : JANUARY 1775
7 8-1-0# A 1775 Thomas Swaine Longford RICHD WEST : JACOB LINE : OVERSEERS [Fig 72, twice] 1775 [Fig 72]
Tenor 11-2-21 G 1775 Thomas Swaine Longford EDWARD [Coin] LAWRENCE [Coin] JOHN [Coin] CLOASE [Coin] CHURCH [Coin] WARDENS [Coin] THOS. SWAIN [Fig 72] 1775

Notes: from the Guide book at Old Windsor

  1. The five heaviest bells date from 1775 and were cast locally in Longford (Colnbrook) by Thomas Swain, the largest weighing in at over half a ton. An extract from Churchwardens’ Account Book 1774 shows:
    ”Mr Lawrence, Expenses on going to Oxford and Salisbury, and carrying Old Bells,
    and bringing New ditto from Longford, from Bell Founders
    £  6.18.9
    Smith’s Bill for Iron-work in Tower etc £  7. 5.0
    Bell Founder’s Bill £ 175. 6.6
    Collected by a 15d rate, £110 13s 1½d.
    Edward Lawrence, John Close - Churchwardens”.


  2. A treble (the present Third) was added in 1872 as a thank offering for the recovery of the Prince of Wales (King Edward VII) from serious illness. It was cast by Mears & Stainbank at the Whitechapel Foundry. It was dedicated by the Vicar (Rev J.S.Blunt) on St Peter’s Day 1872. The amount raised to cover the cost of the new bell and the tuning of the old was £50; the work was entrusted to Mr White of Besselsleigh, Abingdon.

  3. In 1890, as the bells were not only unmusical but also in very bad order, it was decided to tune and rehang the whole peal and at the same time to add two trebles and to recast the old Third (new Fifth). The work was done by Messrs Mears & Stainbank of Whitechapel, the Treble being presented by the Rev J.H.Hindson of Wraysbury, the Second by Mrs E.H.Moore (in memory of her husband Arthur Henry Moore of Thames Street, Windsor, who died Oct 21, 1884) and the rest of the money being raised by Public Subscription. The old bells were taken to London for tuning etc on Thursday September 11, 1890. The total amount of money raised for the bells was over £300.

  4. These were subsequently augmented by the Whitechapel Bell Foundry to a ring of six and then, in 1890, to the current eight. Due to structural concerns the bell frame was remounted on steel joists and placed lower in the tower in the latter half of the 1960s.

  5. Peal records date back to 1890, the first peal on the 8 bells. A list of Rules of the Belfry, dated 1861, gives an interesting insight into the discipline that Victorian bellringers felt it necessary to impose upon themselves!
Points of interest in church: Historic church dating from 1220 on site of Edward the Confessor‘s original church.

Church facilities: Toilet in vestry.

Travel Details: OS Grid Ref: SU993747

Eating Places:
  • Toby Carvery pub/restaurant opposite Church Road
  • The Royal Farm Shop, datchet Road (Coffee Shop — not coach parties)
  • Harvester: The Bells of Ousley on A308 towards Staines.
Local points of interest for non ringers: See guide
  • Two paths from the churchyard to nearby Thames and Old Windsor lock (further upstream).
  • Mary “Perdita” Robinson’s grave (near vestry door).

Return to the EBSB Branch listings page

Valid CSS!  Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional     © Oxford Diocesan Guild of Church Bell Ringers 2009 - Site Map