|Established January 17 1881|
|St. Matthew, Midgham, Berks
Newbury branch of the ODG
St. Matthew, Midgham © KMC Aug 2004
Dedication: St. Matthew, Midgham
Service Ringing: Sun 9.00 (except 3)
Practice night: Thu 7.30pm by arrangement
The Bells (6) 5-0-9
In 1987 the oldest bell, cast in 1674 by Ellis and Henry Knight of Reading, was found to be unsuitable for recasting; it is now stored in the Lady Chapel.
Bell cast in 1674 by Ellis and Henry Knight. © KMC Aug 2004
The other five bells dating from 1869 to 1906 were recast and a new sixth added. (details from a leaflet in the church dated 2002)
The following information comes from Andrew Bull
Gear: 1988.A ring of 6, tenor 5-0-9, tuned to C
Church services in Midgham date from at least as far back as 1622. They were performed in a chapel in the park near to the former Midgham House which was demolished in 1967. There were probably 2 bells in this chapel, which were moved to the new chapel built in 1714 to replace the old one.
In 1868, the then owner of Midgham House, Mr Benjamin Buck Greene, demolished that chapel and arranged for the present church to be built by the architect John Johnson. Polished granite columns are used in the arcade, the largest, just inside the entrance, is thicker than the others because it supports the tower.
The chamber organ was presented in 1872 by the then vicar, Rev Errington.
The font is on the left side as you enter through the porch door. It has a fine font cover designed and carved by Collier and Flack. The Bells are rung from the ground floor just in front of the font.
Font and sallies of the six bells. © KMC Aug 2004
Points of interest in church:
The church was built in 1869 in the Decorated style, flint with stone dressings. The spire broaches are decorated with symbols of the Evangelists.Travel Details: OS Grid Ref: SU556672 - Park in street
© Oxford Diocesan Guild of Church Bell Ringers 2009 - Site Map