ODG Guild Header
Established January 17 1881
 
Guild Home Page Guild Officers Diary of events in the Guild Branch details and contacts within the Guild Latest news and newsletters from the Guild and Branches Details of quarters and peals rung in the Guild The Guild Documentation Frequently Asked Questions Links to other ringing websites

Guild History Page
Search this website
St. Faith, Newton Longville, Bucks
North Bucks branch of the ODG
St. Faith, Newton Longville
St. Faith, Newton Longville
Dedication: St. Faith, Newton Longville

Service Ringing: Sun by arrangement

Practice night: Thu 7.30pm

The Bells (8) 11-1-0#

Access to ringing chamber: In early 2004 the ringing chamber was moved up to a gallery on the first floor.

The inscriptions on the 5 older bells come from A.H.Cocks page 533.
Most of the rest of the information is from Andrew Bull who writes:
“The trebles were hung in a new frame by Webb & Bennett of Kidlington, but it is unclear from the documentary evidence currently available whether this was just an extra bit of frame for the new trebles, or a complete new frame for eight. Recast sixth hung by Richard White of Appleton. Weights of trebles from Among The Bells by F E Robinson. The weights of 3-5 (recorded in an old notebook at Loughborough) and the weight of the sixth are reported by Chris Pickford”.

A ring of 8; tenor 11-1-0#, diameter 40”, tuned to G.
Bell Weight
cwt-qr-lb
Diameter Strike
note
Date
cast
Founder Foundry
location
Inscription
treble 4-2-3 26½ G 1907 Mears & Stainbank Whitechapel  
2 5-0-2 27½ F# 1907 Mears & Stainbank Whitechapel  
3 6-2-4 30½ E 1824 W & J Taylor Oxford RECAST BY THE MUNIFICENCE OF GILBERT FLESHER ESQR WHO ADDS HONOUR TO THE HONOUR OF HIS ANCESTORS
OF A:D 1066. THE NOBLEST MOTIVE IS THE PUBLIC GOOD
4 5-3-24 31½ D 1824 W & J Taylor Oxford W: & J: TAYLOR OXFORDFEC=T. 1824
5 7-0-13 33¼ C 1824 W & J Taylor Oxford W : & J: T: OXFORD. FOUNDERS. 1824.
6 7-1-17 33¾ B 1936 Mears & Stainbank Whitechapel  
7 9-1-0# 37 A 1800 John Briant Hertford JOHN BRIANT HARTFORD FECIT 1800.
tenor 11-1-0# 40 G 1826 R Taylor Oxford R : TAYLOR & SONS FOUNDERS OXFORD. MDCCCXXVI

Notes:

Architecture

The tower was built in the C 15th and is in two stages, the lower stage being two stories. At ground level is the ringing chamber (this has since been updated): the first stage the clock chamber and at the top the bell chamber. The embattled parapet is modern. There were in 1897, six bells, recast and rehung early in the C 19th to which two were added in 1907. Before the C 19th century restoration the tower contained a musicians’ gallery.

From the Guide Book at Newton Longville

In 2004 the ODG Festival was held in June, a month earlier than usual, to celebrate the Centenary of the founding of the North Bucks branch at Newton Longville, (see Ringing World June 11th 2004).

ringers' gallery
İBM 27 Jun 2004

As part of this celebration a 'Rise and Fall' competition was held when visiting ringers had a chance to try out the newly installed ringing gallery.(shown above)

Scenes in the church
The old clock
old clock gears
İBM 27 June 2004
The Yawn
carving 'the Yawn'
İBM 27 June 2004
The mini font
mini font
İBM 27 June 2004

Travel Details: OS Grid Ref: SP847314

Return to the North Bucks Branch listings page

Valid CSS!  Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional     © Oxford Diocesan Guild of Church Bell Ringers 2009 - Site Map