ODG Guild Header
Established January 17 1881
 
Guild Home Page Guild Officers Diary of events in the Guild Branch details and contacts within the Guild Latest news and newsletters from the Guild and Branches Details of quarters and peals rung in the Guild The Guild Documentation Frequently Asked Questions Links to other ringing websites

Guild History Page
Search this website
Holy Trinity , Ardington, Oxon
Old North Berks branch of the ODG
Holy Trinity, Ardington tower
Holy Trinity, Ardington©KMC 14 Oct 2003
Dedication: Holy Trinity, Ardington

Availability and Restrictions *Unringable*

The Bells (6) 6-1-25

Access to ringing chamber: Ground floor

The following information comes from F. Sharpe The Church Bells of Berkshire.He visited the tower in 1939.

Frame: Oak.

Gear: Elm headstocks, Hoop gudgeons, Plain brass bearings, Traditional English-type wheels, Latchet stays. Taylor & Son, 1855.

A ring of 6, tenor 6-1-25, diameter 35”, tuned to A
Bell Weight
cwt-qr-lb
Strike
note
Date
cast
Founder Foundry
location
Inscription
Treble 4-3-7 F# 1855 John Taylor & Co. Loughborough J: TAYLOR & SON FOUNDERS LOBORO LATE OF OXFORD 1855 [Cross]
2 4-2-25 E 1855 John Taylor & Co. Loughborough J: TAYLOR & SON FOUNDERS LOUGHBOROUGH 1855 [Cross]
3 5-0-1 D 1855 John Taylor & Co. Loughborough J: TAYLOR & SON FOUNDERS LOUGHBOROUGH A : D 1855 [Cross]
4 5-2-11 C# 1855 John Taylor & Co. Loughborough J: TAYLOR & SON LOUGHBOROUGH LATE OF OXFORD 1855 [Cross]
5 5-3-16 B 1855 John Taylor & Co. Loughborough [Cross] J: TAYLOR & SON LOUGHBOROUGH LATE OF OXFORD ::::::::::::
THESE BELLS RECAST AND NUMBER INCREASED TO SIX A:D 1855
L: VERNON T: GOODWIN CHURCHWARDENS
Tenor 6-1-25 A 1855 John Taylor & Co. Loughborough J: TAYLOR & SON LOUGHBOROUGH LATE OF OXFORD FOUNDERS 1855 [Cross]
Ecclesia restavrata
Tunis reaedificata
Et in pyramidem
erecta
A: S. MDcccXLVI
Rev: Barnes Vicario
P.S. Coxe
He: Clarke
Eccl. Gardianis
A: S. MDcccXLVI

Notes:
  1. The dedication on the tenor is in gothic script.
Points of interest in church: Preaching cross (in photo above) has unusual animal carvings at the top

Travel Details: OS Grid Ref: SU432883

Public Transport: A few Stagecoach buses

Eating Places: cups of tea in the Old Post Office, fancy meals in "The Boar's Head" adjacent to the church. The landlord does not allow visitors to eat their own sandwiches and just buy a drink in his bar.

Local points of interest for non ringers:
  • Ardington was an 'Estate village' built during the 19th century by the owner of the Lockinge Estate, first Lord Wantage, Robert Lindsay, who was the first winner of the Victoria Cross during the Crimean War at the Battle of Alma. He was a Tory MP for Berkshire for 30 years and a supporter of the formation of the ODG. (see p27 100 years of the ODG). Lady Wantage built a monument to his memory on the Ridgeway above Wantage and erected a statue of 'King Alfred' in Wantage Market Square, whose head is reputed locally to closely resemble that of Robert Lindsay. Lord and Lady Wantage who had no children are both buried in the churchyard, near their nephew. Further details from the 'Vale and Downland Museum' in Wantage.
  • The remains of the old Mill are in the Estate Yard area, open during National Mills Day, usually annually the 1st Sunday in May
  • Near the Ridgeway National Trail
  • Ardington House, a privately owned mansion open to the public, one of the many built along the stream line below the Ridgeway on land difficult to cultivate. For details of opening hours and tours see their website.
  • Ardington millennium stones, a freely accessible woodland area donated to the village by a local landowner, Christopher Loyd, to celebrate the year 2000. A set of large stones with slots in them stand in a circle forming a large sundial. Through one of them the rising sun shone on 1st Jan 2000. There is also an avenue with a reflecting mirror where the sun strikes and reflects along the avenue at noon each day. Parking area just West of the field, also useful for a pleasant walk to Lockinge church with spectacular autumn colours in the woods.
The Clock: The clock chimes the quarters and strikes the hours.

Mass dial
© KMC 22 mar 2006
The mass dial is a stone on the E side of the old S door now replaced by an engraved millennium window.

Return to the Old North Berks Branch listings page

Valid CSS!  Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional     © Oxford Diocesan Guild of Church Bell Ringers 2009 - Site Map