ODG Guild Header
Established January 17 1881
   
Guild Home Page Guild Officers Diary of events in the Guild Branch details and contacts within the Guild Latest news and newsletters from the Guild and Branches Details of quarters and peals rung in the Guild The Guild Documentation Frequently Asked Questions Links to other ringing websites

Guild History Page
Search this website
St. Matthew, Harwell, Oxon
Old North Berks branch of the ODG
Further details

St. Matthew, Harwell tower
St. Matthew, Harwell MQ 2002
Availability

Bell weights etc.

Church Architecture

Church Facilities

Dedication

Ringing Chamber Access

Ringing Times

Tourist places

Tower Correspondent

Travel info

Refreshment places nearby

Their websites
bells    parish

  Dedication: St. Matthew, Harwell benefice
  Tower Correspondent: M Pepper, 10 Jennings Lane, Harwell, Didcot, Oxon OX11 0EP
   Tel: 01235 835559

  Service Ringing: Sun 10.30, 5.30
  Practice night: Thu 8 - 9pm, joint with Chilton, weeks 1,3 in Harwell, 2,4 in Chilton, 5th week in the month contact tower correspondent for details.
  Availability and Restrictions

  The Bells (8) 16-1-26. There is one clock hammer to pull off. Further details. The back 6 are listed as worthy of preservation. They are the oldest ring of 6 in the world.

  Access to ringing chamber: through a small door from the vestry at the west end of the aisle, 1st floor, spiral staircase, 26 steps +3 into ringing chamber; easy access to the belfry just carry on up the spiral staircase.

  Points of interest in church. One of the many large cruciform churches built along the Roman Portway, running from east to west on the north side of the Berkshire Downs. Formerly dedicated to St. Mary, most of the church was built in the 13th century. This Grade I listed building has a nave roof built in 1220, some vigorous Early English stone carving on the nave capitals and chancel arch. The west tower is ~1250. A mediæval glass coat of arms in the E window commemorates Piers Gaveston, ill-fated friend of Edward II. The Harwell window was restored in 1981, with donations from many of the descendants of Harwell residents who emigrated to Virginia in 1636. Two wall hangings were made in 1985 to commemorate 1000 years of the Royal Charter for Harwell.

A two floor extension was built on the North wall in 1975, a new church hall in 1994.

  Church facilities: toilet and kitchen in Church extension. Children’s play area.
  Travel Details: OS Grid Ref: SU493890   Park cars in the road
  Public Transport: Stagecoach buses from Wantage to Didcot railway station during the day.
  Eating Places: 2 pubs on High Street, The White Hart and The Crispin
  Local points of interest for non ringers:

Page last updated 23 Apr 2006

Valid CSS!  Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional     © Oxford Diocesan Guild of Church Bell Ringers 2009 - Site Map