|Established January 17 1881|
|St. Michael & All Angels, Steventon, Oxon
Old North Berks branch of the ODG
St. Michael & All Angels, Steventon
a Grade I listed building ęKMC 17 Dec 2003
Unusually, the tower is in the middle of the
church, rather than at the Western end.
Dedication: St. Michael & All Angels, Steventon
Tower Correspondent: J E Jarvis, Copse View, Castle Street, Steventon, Abingdon, Oxon OX13 6SR
Tel: 01235 831395
Service Ringing: Ringing by arrangement
Practice night: Ringing by arrangement
Availability and Restrictions
The Bells (6) 11-2-7 further details
Access to ringing chamber: Ground floor in the S entrance porch. The congregation now enters via the N porch.
Points of interest in church
The earlier church was ~1220, it was rebuilt in the second half of the
14th century with ribbed waggon roof to the nave and chancel with wooden bosses
carved with heads or heraldic symbols. The tower dates from ~1330; it is the
main entrance to the church. The congregation now enter via the N porch.
Church facilities: Toilet in church hall
Travel Details: OS Grid Ref: SU464915
The church is reached by turning west from the cross roads just by the village hall and green; take the southernmost of the 2 roads going west from the war memorial. This road goes beside the 'Causeway' a raised bank beside the road until a level crossing is reached; there are gates and warning bells since this is the main line Didcot to Bristol where some trains run at 125m.p.h. The church is just beyond the level crossing. Park in the road outside.
Public Transport: Stagecoach buses between Didcot and Wantage stop in Steventon but not very near to the church.
Eating Places: the nearest pub is The North Star just the other side of the level crossing from the church. The Fox and The Cherry Tree are others on the main road, B4017.
Local points of interest for non ringers:
Page last updated 14 Aug 2005
© Oxford Diocesan Guild of Church Bell Ringers 2009 - Site Map