Morning activities and 8-bell striking competition
- The morning consisted of various open towers along with the Balscote ring and White’s of Appleton bell hangers workshop being open.
- The 8 bell striking competition was held at Broadwell, a newly rehung and augmented ring in the Witney and Woodstock Branch. The location for this was absolutely stunning. Refreshments and a delicious ploughman’s lunch were in the barn, just across the field from the Church. The Stallpit mini-ring was also available throughout the morning and afternoon. Such a lot of work had gone into the day by the Witney and Woodstock branch.
7 teams (out of a possible 15) took part in the 8 bell striking competition ringing 210 changes (5 courses) of Erin Triples. The judges were from Bristol – Colin Newman, Matt Jerome and Anna Sherwood. They said it was difficult to ring without mistakes but the overall quality was good. The three judges all agreed on the scores:
|A||Peal speed of 3hr 6, strong confident start, some methods mistakes but a good 4th course||45||Banbury Branch||5th|
|B||Peal speed of 3hr 4, shaky start, some inconsistent leading and mistakes||54||Oxford City||7th|
|C||Peal speed of 3hr 6, grew in confidence. No faults. Accurate.||25||Newbury Branch||1st|
|D||Peal speed of 3hr 1, solid structure. Excellent 4th and 5th course||27||Reading Branch||2nd|
|E||Peal speed of 3hr 8, back bells worked well together. Consistent trips||43||North Bucks Branch||3rd|
|F||Peal speed of 2hr 57, ambitious pace. Faults occurred, 4th & 5th courses were good||53||Vale of White Horse||6th|
|G||Peal speed of 2hr 57, good rhythm, mistake in the third course. 4th & 5th courses were good||44||EBSB||4th|
- The documents/reports for the AGM can be found via the following links:
- The formal AGM took place starting with an opening prayer.
- After this the obituaries were read out.
A minute’s silence was held.
The formal minutes will be prepared and made available at a later date.
- Thanks were given again to the branch for arranging the event, including Andrew Goldthorpe and especially to Paul and Annabelle who had allowed the use of their home.
- The meeting then ended. Ringing continued followed by the service and ringing until 5pm.
VOWH Branch Representative.